If you have just found out that you’re pregnant, you probably have a lot of questions. We have put together links to some resources and information that you might find helpful.
How do I find a doctor or midwife? And what is the difference?
Visit the Maternity Care Pathway divisionsbc.ca/comox/matcarepathway
Every pregnant woman is encouraged to sign up for Right From The Start, a service offered by Island Health. By registering for this universal program, you are linked to:
- prenatal services, prenatal classes, Baby’s Best Chance, A Parents’ Handbook of Pregnancy and Baby Care
- support to access community resources around nutrition, vitamins, transport, housing, counseling, advocacy
- postpartum services: breastfeeding support, monitoring jaundice, emotional support
To register with Right From the Start, you can:
- go online at rightfromthestart.viha.ca
- pick up a registration form from your doctor or midwife
- stop by the Public Health Nursing office at 961 England Avenue, Courtenay
Other Frequently Asked Questions:
I feel like I could use some extra emotional support during my pregnancy – what is available?
- In addition to the Right From the Start program, there is the Healthy Babies program which offers a variety of support to pregnant women and their babies in group and individual settings
- The Pacific Post Partum Support Society offers telephone support to women and men who are struggling with emotional adjustments during pregnancy or after the birth or adoption of a baby
When and how do I sign up for prenatal classes?
- The registration for Prenatal Classes is now done through the Right From the Start Program; please see information above.
What is a doula?
- A doula provides emotional, physical, and informational support for women and families during pregnancy and labour and after birth. In the Comox Valley, there is a website with contact information for local doulas: Comox Valley Doulas. (Please note, the cost of a doula is not covered by MSP.)
- If you or your baby has Aboriginal ancestry, there is an Aboriginal Doula Support program that can help with the cost of a doula