Child Care

Child care can be a challenge for parents everywhere. Find resources below to help you find a caring, fun, safe, child care service that you can afford.


Looking for Child Care or preschools?

Check out:

  • PacificCARE Child Care Resource & Referral program (click here)

    • Especially helpful if accessing child care for the first time and/or have questions about the child care subsidy process

  • Government of BC’s Child Care Map (click here)

    • The map gives you location of centres, and if there are vacancies within the centre

    • Child care providers are responsible for updating their vacancies and other information


Affordable child care benefit

On September 1, 2018, the Affordable Child Care Benefit replaced the Child Care Subsidy. The new funding will help families with the cost of child care, depending on factors like family size, type of care and household income.

Find out whether you qualify, how much funding is available, and apply here.


Supported Child Development program

All families have similar hopes and dreams for their children – that they will be happy, have friends, enjoy learning and live meaningful lives. For young children with extra support needs, inclusive child care provides an optimal environment for children to achieve these goals and maximize their potential.

What is Supported Child Development?

It helps children successfully participate in the childcare setting of their parent’s choice.

Who can use this program?

Children from birth to age 12 with developmental delays, exceptional health care needs and mental or physical or behavioural challenges.

Do I need a referral to use this program?

You can call the Child Development Association and ask to speak to someone about the Supported Child Development program. If you like, a doctor, public health nurse or another community professional may make a referral on your behalf by contacting the Child Development Association.

What happens at first?

A Supported Childcare Consultant will meet with you to determine the support needs of your child.

Financial Support

Low and middle income parents may apply to the Ministry of Children and Family Development for child care subsidy and the special needs supplement.

Get In Touch

Contact: Beth
Phone: 250-338-4288, extension 225
Location: Child Development Association, 237 3rd Street, Courtenay (map)